Sunday, November 11, 2007

Craziness!

Wow! I can't believe I got through this weekend AND survived! First of all, the reason why my blog is so easy to read a senior citizen could read it from a mile away, is because my pictures kept getting cut off. This is the only template I could find where it didn't cutt off my pictures! I'll change it back to normal sometime next week or so.
Anyhow, on with my weekend. It started Friday with Girl Scouts. We volunteered at a local organization called Sargeant Santa. This organization does no advertizing at all whatsoever, but is driven by word-of-mouth and donations alone. Santa is a retired Sargeant and he collects donations and dresses up as Santa and delivers them to local families on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The "workshop" is not in the best part of town and believe me, all the girls were talking about it! It made me wonder......I think my daughter is just a little too comfortable with her life. By this I mean that I don't think she truly appreciates what she has. There are soooo many local families that are so poor, that they would be so thankful for just a used, rusty old bike for Christmas. What does my daughter want? An iPod. Of course she is not getting it, but it's these kind of situations that really make me think - What can I do as a parent to make sure that she is aware of families like this and try to educate her on how to help them? I think the Sargeant Santa was a start, but I feel like, as Christians especially, that we should be doing more. Anyhow, that's my random thought for the day. Here are a few pictures from the Sgt. Santa Girl Scouts trip.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
they stuffed baggies full of girl scout cookies for the poor-
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here they are with Sgt. Santa-
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Then, it was off to the race on Saturday. I would have loved to have done the 8k, but my doctor suggested against it. I did the 10k in April with my dad and it was awesome!
Alex ran with her running club from school. They had special lime green shirts on so they were easy to spot! Here they are getting a prep talk from Miss Tracey before the race!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I am one proud momma! My little girl made the Richmond Times Dispatch! Question is....can YOU find her??
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Here's Alex at the start of the race....it was like 35 degrees outside!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
After the race was over, Alex got a little r&r and after she received her medal, a street vendor selling flowers gave her a carnation, then a clown painted her face. We all had such a great time!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tomorrow I'm off to St. Louis, Missouri. I'll be back LATE Wednesday night, so I'll try to blog while I'm there!

3 comments:

Dolly said...

Sounds like you guys are enjoying your fall. Good for Alex running all those races. When I was a kid, running was the LAST thing I ever wanted to do. I dreaded the day in PE when we had to run "the mile". It's so good that she enjoys running like she does.

Dolly said...

And by the way...I like your senior citizen style. It's fun to look at the pictures this way. I also think it's great that you are raising your daughter to appreciate what she has and serving others. It's so easy to get too comfortable in our own lives. Good job Toni!

Donna said...

I like your huge font and large pics, too! Sgt. Santa is cute:) Ditto on what Dolly said about how you're raising Alex!